Table of Contents
- Give Dots
- Create A Meeting
- Join A Meeting
- Help and Settings
Principles is excited to announce the release of our Zoom integration which now enables you to dot within a Zoom chat and also seamlessly create associated Dot Collector meetings whenever you schedule or initiate a Zoom call.
Our goal is to continue to make it easier for you to exchange dots by eliminating the need to switch between applications and devices. We are focused on bringing the Principles ecosystem closer to your workflow by plugging into existing collaboration software platforms and enabling you to engage on both web and mobile.
This is especially important given our new remote work reality where most of us are spending many hours a day in Zoom meetings. Putting Dot Collector inside Zoom is a key step in integrating the tool more seamlessly into how we work - and brings us closer to the ultimate goal of enabling you to dot anytime, anywhere.
Check out our video walkthrough and written instructions below to get set up with the integration:
Users of both Zoom and Dot Collector will now be able to:
- Give a dot from within the Dot Collector App or ‘bot’ by typing the word “dot” in the chat bar and pressing enter
- Give a dot from any chat or channel by typing the command “/dotcollector”
- Create a Dot Collector Meeting, from within Zoom, associated with a Zoom Meeting ID
- Be prompted to Join a Dot Collector Meeting, from within Zoom, if it is associated with a Zoom meeting ID
- Receive a notification in Zoom each time they have been given a dot, with details on that dot and the opportunity to dot back (provided the user has the proper notification settings enabled - see the Help & Settings section of this document to change your notification settings)
There are two ways to give a dot in Zoom:
Option 1: Dotting via Direct Chat with the Dot Collector ‘Bot’
1. You should see “Dot Collector” on the left sidebar. Click to begin chatting with the bot.
2. To give a dot, type the command “dot” in the chat bar and press Enter.
This will raise a form where you can fill out your dot details (person, attribute, rating, and/or comment).
Optionally, you can fill out all or part of your dot details in your dot command in the order they appear in the form, meaning dot [person] [attribute] [rating] [“freeform comment”]. For example, dot Eric Baker problems perceiving 8 “Zendesk ticket”
A couple of things to note:
- Freeform comments, when included as part of your dot command, always need to be in quotation marks.
- While pre-filling the form is not required, we highly recommend writing the name of the person in your dot command. Otherwise, you will need to scroll through the entire company directory to find the person you’re looking to dot.
- If you type in most details of your dot as part of the text command, you will have a chance to edit or confirm your new dot before you submit.
Option 2: Dotting within a Direct Chat or a Channel by Engaging the Dot Collector ‘Bot’
- To engage the Dot Collector bot from within a direct chat, type the command “/dotcollector” followed by a dot command in the same format described above as when interacting directly with the bot.
This will raise a form where you can fill out your remaining dot details (person, attribute, rating, and/or comment).
When giving a dot within a Zoom Channel, you will also have the option to share that dot with the rest of the Channel by clicking “Share with Channel”
CREATE A MEETING
When scheduling or starting a meeting directly from your Zoom homepage or when scheduling a Zoom meeting via Outlook or Gmail, you can simultaneously create an associated Dot Collector meeting. It’s important to note that your Zoom notifications need to be turned on for this feature to work (see the Help & Settings section of this document to change your notification settings).
- Start or schedule a meeting from your Zoom homepage like you normally would by selecting “New Meeting” or “Schedule.” Alternatively, you can create an Outlook or Gmail calendar invite with an embedded Zoom meeting. You will then receive a prompt from the Dot Collector Bot to create an associated Dot Collector meeting. From there, you can either “Add Meeting” or “Dismiss” this prompt.
A couple of things to note:
- Your Dot Collector meeting will have the same title as your Zoom meeting.
- You will not be able to link a Dot Collector meeting to a Zoom Meeting that uses your Zoom Personal Meeting ID (as this ID is used multiple times).
- Zoom handles recurring meetings by using the same Zoom Meeting ID. Based on this, the Dot Collector bot will also create a single Dot Collector meeting (you will be sent the same link each time you join that same recurring Zoom Meeting). As such, we do not recommend using the Zoom integration for recurring meetings today.
2. Once your meeting is created, the Dot Collector Bot will prompt you to view it from within Dot Collector.
JOIN A MEETING
As a meeting participant, join a Zoom meeting like you normally would by either typing in the meeting ID within the Zoom app or clicking on the Zoom meeting link in your email client. Once you join a Zoom meeting that is associated with a Dot Collector meeting, the Dot Collector Bot will prompt you within the Zoom app to open the Dot Collector meeting.
HELP AND SETTINGS
To view instructions on how to use the Dot Collector integration within your Zoom app, open up a direct chat with the Dot Collector Bot and type “help,” then hit Enter.
Turn On / Off Notifications:
To change your Dot Collector Bot notification preferences, first engage the Dot Collector Bot in a direct chat and type “help,” then hit Enter. Click the “Notification Settings” button at the end of the automated help response.
There are two types of notifications, dots and meetings:
- Dot Notifications - The Dot Collector Bot sends you a direct message alert each time you receive a dot. The message alert will include the person who dotted you, the attributes, ratings, and comment. You will also be able to dot that person back!
- Meeting Notifications - The Dot Collector Bot sends you a direct message alert prompting you to create an associated Dot Collector meeting or join an associated Dot Collector meeting. The Dot Collector Bot will also send you a direct message alert prompting you to give a dot once you have finished a meeting. Again, this notification needs to be turned ON for the Dot Collector / Zoom Meeting Integration to work.
You can change your notification settings at any time by selecting the GEAR icon from any notification.